STATISTICAL SURVEY OF IRELAND, 1815
PARISH OF CLONMORE, CO. LOUTH
BY THE REV. SAMUEL GERRARD, RECTOR
– There are 123 houses, inhabited by 353 males and 375 females. The farmers, who hold from 50 to 80 acres, are, in most of them, in sufficient circumstances; they kill their cow and bacon their hogs, soonally, which they consume in their families; they are, in general, healthful. On Sundays and market days, they appear clean, and in their best apparel; their coats are of frize, which is manufactured at home, waistcoats and breeches of Manchester materials. The food of the poor is potatoes and oatmeal; they seldom taste fresh meat. The males wear frize in coatings, where they can compass it, they wear Manchester waistcoats; the women, on Sundays, wear cotton, on other days lindacy-woolsey. The people are healthful and among the instances of longevity, there are two aged 90, one 87, and one 80 years. Coals, turf and furze are burned by the farmers, furze principally by the poor.
Disposition, Language, St. Columbkill – The poorer class is shrewd and sensible; upon the whole industrious; some are, however, addicted to the whiskey and idleness. Most of the inhabitants speak the English language, but they prefer the Irish among themselves. All the children speak the English language. A patron is held here every 9th day of June, which is called St. Columbkill’s day. The tradition is that St. Columb founded a Christian church here: kile being the Irish for church strengthens the tradition.
Children – The children are taught reading, writing and figures: some are employed in winding quills, some by the farmers and gentlemen in husbandry, while others have no employment at all, except making out firing for their father and mother.
Schools – There is one Roman Catholic school in the parish: the children are taught to read, write and figures; 2s. 2d. per quarter for reading and spelling; 3s. 3d. for reading and writing; 4s. 4d. for reading, writing, and figures: 29 boys and ten girls, at present, are in the school, which is not endowed. The intention of the present rector of Clonmore is to alienate the detached rood of the glebe, herein after mentioned, and give the 40s. which he is bound to do, to a Protestant school-master, whenever he can effect it, and which he has hitherto endeavoured to do, but to no purpose.
There is no public library, nor collection of Irish MSS, or other documents relating to Ireland.
Avowson – The Lord Primate has the advowson of this parish: it is a rectory, and was taxed £22 15s. 4d. Irish money in the 30th year of Henry VIII.
Church, Chapel, Glebehouse, and Glebe – There is a church in it, built 18 years ago by Primate Robinson, having purchased this part of Lord Derby’s estate, and finding the old church decaying, he, at his sole expense, erected a very handsome church and steeple, with minarets, in a portion of ground which he inclosed adjoining the old church-yard. Here is also a Roman Catholic chapel. A glebe-house, built in 1782, by the Rev. John Gibson, and 17 acres of glebe, purchased by the Board of First Fruits, in 1774, from Lord Derby, are attached to the house. At a quarter of a mile distance, there is a rood of glebe near the scite (sic) of the new, and walls of the old church, where there was formerly a residence for the clergyman.
Tithes – Wheat, oats, barley, flax, vetches, and meadow, pay tithes; flax never more than 8s. per acre: sheep being so few in number, are not paid for, nor are there any small dues. The clergyman employs a proctor, who views and sets the parish for him, and the landholders pass their promissory-notes, payable to the incumbent, which the proctor witnesses, and hands over to his employer, who receives the money the year after the notes are passed.
Value of lands – The landlords renew the leases with their tenants before the expiration of the lease, the tenant advancing something in the acreable rent, which makes it difficult to answer his quere. No lease has expired since 1807. The average rent, at present, is 1s. 6d. by the old leases.
Crops, Stock of Cattle – The routine of crops is potatoes, wheat, oats, barley, hay-seed and clover, sown when laying-down the ground. A few sow clover only for tillage, those who hold the largest farms, feed some sheep and a few cows, along with those which give them milk. The small farmers have a cow or two for milk, some of them two or three sheep, with the wool of which they cloath (sic) their families, when manufactured. There is neither fair nor market.
Implements – The implements of husbandry are the Irish plough, barrow, common car, and some Scotch carts and drays. We have a winnowing-machine in the parish, but no threshing machines.
Price of Labour – The labourers are annually employed; such of them, as do not reside with their employers, have from 10d. to 1s. 1d. per day; the cottiers, 6½d; these have a house, half an acre of ground, and grass for a cow, and a run in winter with the farmers’ cows, for which they pay £2 10s. annually.
There are 58 looms employed in this union for weaving linen for the Drogheda market, 3 carpenters, 2 shoemakers, and 2 tailors, &c. The remainder are employed in agriculture.
From The Freeman’s Journal, 10 & 21 February 1815
PARISH OF CREGGAN, CO. OF LOUTH AND ARMAGH
BY THE REV. HENRY STEWARTT, D.D.
Militia Returns – The returns of persons, deemed liable to be balloted for, as fit to serve in the militia for this county, from the parish of Creggan that is in the county of Armagh, taken this summer, by the county constables, appears to have been 1721; the return for Newtown-Hamilton parish was 1425; and for part of the parish of Armagh, in the Barony of Upper Fews, it was 315, making the total number for this barony, fit to serve in the militia, to amount to 3462.
On looking into the vestry book, an account appears to have been taken of the number of houses in the part of the parish that is [in] the county of Armagh, in furtherance of the Militia Act, in the year 1795. The return was 1412 houses, and each house was averaged at five inhabitants, making thus, in 1785, the number of inhabitants in the county of Armagh part of the parish, to amount to 7095.
Since the above statement was formed, an accurate account of the number of families, and the number of children in each, distinguishing male and female, as also the occupation or trade of the different families, was taken by the barony constables, at the desire of the governors of the county in order to ascertain the number liable to serve in the militia. The return is lodged among the public documents of the county. I have seen the return of some townlands and find that the number of cottiers, who do not appear in my tithe-book, is greater than imagined; farms also that were set by me, as one, half a year ago, have, since that, been divided into two, as the sons of the occupier married; I therefore think we may add 300 to the 1700 names appearing in my tithe-books. The higher average children to houses, found to take place in other districts, may certainly stand for Creggan; if we say five, it gives us 10,000 as the gross amount of souls in the parish.
The Freeman’s Journal, 21 February 1815
Note: The parish of Creggan is 24,814 acres in size, 2,991 acres of which lie in the county of Louth (source: General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands and Towns Parishes and Baronies of Ireland 1851). The above information relates only to the Co. Armagh portion of the parish. Rev Simon Nelson, in his History of the Parish of Creggan in the Counties of Armagh and Louth 1611 – 1840 (written circa 1845, reference PRONI manuscript T.541), as with Stewartt above, concentrates mainly on the Co. Armagh portion. However, he also mentions Creggan parish in Co. Louth and gives some insight into living conditions at the time of writing:
'The part of this parish in the County of Louth was formerly in the estate of the late Lord Boyne, whose trustee, Colonel Jibithorpe took fines from the principal wealthy tenants both in this and the neighbouring parishes, and gave them leases at reduced low rents, his authority, for doing this, was afterwards cancelled which gave rise to many tedious lawsuits; it was at length determined by the Lord Chancellor that the tenants' leases should remain valid, as the fines were to pay off Lord Boyne's debts. The whole fee and estate was afterwards sold by order of the Chancellor for the like purpose, and purchased by the tenants with very few exceptions.
… Some of the foregoing landlords let their lands reasonable, and wish their tenants to live well under them, whilst others (particularly those who have leases in the County Louth part of the parish), seem only to outvie each other for who can set their lands the dearest, seldom bringing to the recollection those lines from Goldsmith that "… a bold peasantry, their country's pride, when once destroyed can never be supplies"' [BH]
STATISTICAL SURVEY OF DUNDALK PARISH
By THE REV. ELIAS THACKERAY, VICAR,
ASSISTED BY HIS CURATE, REV. R. H. HORNER.
From a MS. in Public Record Office, Dublin, belonging to late W. Shaw Mason,
kindly copied by Rev. J. B. Leslie.
STATISTICAL SURVEY OF IRELAND, 1816
PARISH OF BALLYMASCANLON, CO. LOUTH
BY THE REV. DENNIS McGRATH, CURATE
. - BALLYMASCANLON is the ancient and modern name of the parish, so called from the Scallion family, banished by King James the first. It is situated in the half barony of Lower Dundalk, county of Louth, and diocese of Armagh. Its longitude is 6º 40' west; and latitude, 51° 5' north; and it is bounded on the north, by the parish of Jonesborough, and part of Killevy parish, on the south, by part of Carlingford parish, and the sea; the west, by part of Dundalk parish and the sea and on the east by part of Carlingford and Killevy parishes. It contains thirty-four townlands, and is in length, from north to south, about nine miles, and in breadth, about five miles and a half.
There are about 6,000 cultivated acres of which there may be 200 used as meadow; all the pasture land, except the mountainous parts, receives the plough in turn.
One river, called the Flurry, nearly bisects the parish, in a course from north-west to south-east; it rises in a bog, north-east of Slieve-gullin; and taking a south-east direction, runs into the sea at Dundalk, together with a trifling stream, called the Pluister river, which rises south-east of Slieve-gullin, and meets the former river at Ballymascanlon. A circular lough also, in the centre of a very fertile field, near the shore, covers about a rood of ground, and is remarkable only for its beauty, and for giving name to the townland of Loughanmore.
A vast range of mountains, lying in the eastern part of this parish, goes by no particular name, except one which is called Carraquit. They are all heathy, yet afford tolerable pasture in summer. Their direction is nearly north and south, and they extend about seven miles and a half.
This parish has some turf-bogs, but they are not worth naming. There are no woods, except in Ravensdale demesne; no thickets, nor any plants of an uncommon kind.
II. Mines, Minerals, &c. - Vast iron mines may be supposed to exist in the mountains, from the quantity of chalybeate water springing out of them. The quarries consist of limestone, of which there is great abundance.
The river Flurry is well supplied with trout and salmon. There is an extensive shore south-east of the parish, joining the bay of Dundalk, productive of all kinds, and particularly of flat fish.
III. Modern Buildings, &c. - There are no infirmaries, or other public buildings of a similar nature in the parish. On the old great northern road, a bridge is built over the Pluister water; and another over the same river, on the new great northern road. Also, over the Flurry, stands another bridge on the road from Carlingford to Newry. On the east side of the new great northern road, are Ravensdale park, the seat of Lord Clermont and that of Baron M'Clelland, which is also known by the name of Ravensdale, from its vicinity to the village of the same name. This village, which contains about thirty-six houses, is situate five miles and a half from Newry, and four from Dundalk. On the east side of the road from Dundalk to Carlingford, distant from the latter ten, and from the former, two miles, is the seat of J. Wolfe McNeale, Esq. much improved as to soil, but not well planted. There are many other gentlemen's seats m the parish, but not so conspicuous as to merit description.
The great northern roads, old and new, run through the parish, for about five miles. It is intersected about eight miles, by a good road, leading from Carlingford to Newry, and meeting the new great northern road at Feed; this Carlingford road also branches off at Rockmarshall, towards Dundalk, and cuts the parish about five miles; a branch of it takes a direction about a mile from Ravensdale village, to the new great northern road towards Dundalk; another from the old great northern road at Carrickanena, cutting the new great northern road at right angles, towards Ballymascanlon.
IV. Ancient Buildings, &c. - On the burial ground of Foughart hill, are the remains of an old church. No other old buildings, either religious or military, are to be seen, except the remains of an old castle in Ballymascanlon, and some Danish forts, not worth notice.
V. Present and Former State of Population, Food, Fuel, &c. - There are about 1,400 inhabited houses in the parish, which, from the best observation, cannot be averaged at more than four persons to each house; of these there are about eighty families of the established church, and nearly as many dissenters: the majority is on the female side. The general occupation is spinning, weaving, and agriculture.
Where industrious exertion arises more from necessity than will, the lower order never can be wealthy. It is so with the generality of people here who are therefore poor. Their usual food is potatoes: their appearance not superior to their wealth or food. They are perfectly contented and quiet, except when their bad passions are excited by the artifices of the designing, or by the harsh treatment of landlords and agents, of which, it is to be regretted, instances have been found. They are of course, generally healthy and long-lived; there being numbers now in the parish, from 80 to 90 years old. Though there is no public house in Ravensdale village, both beer and spirituous liquors are universally drank; the latter however, is the favourite beverage.
VI. The Genius & Disposition of the Poorer Classes, &c. - The inhabitants have in them a vast shrewdness of talent and infinite good-nature under a certain mode of treatment; but when irritated, they are cruel and treacherous, and but too easily led by the voice of faction and discontent.
It is gratifying to a person attached to British policy, to have it in his power to say, that the English language is gaining ground fast; and that it is very generally spoken and taught.
There are two patrons; one on the first of February, in honour of St. Bridget, on Foughart hill; and the other on the fifteenth o£ August, in honour of the Virgin Mary, at Piedmont. Near each patron place, is what is called an holy well, named after the saint at which the people do penance. Their original objects were auricular confession, and other religious rites; but they are now converted to the purposes of idle amusements and riot.
VII. The Education and Employment of Children, &c. - There is no industrious employment for the children previously to the age at which they may be supposed capable of assisting their parents in the culture of their grounds. They are indeed generally sent to school for a very short time, and then, except the few who are trained to mechanical trades, they are all turned out to agricultural labour.
There is one protestant schoolmaster in the parish, who has a free house, with a salary of £4 yearly. There are eight Roman Catholic hedge schools; and the number of scholars may be calculated from what is stated in the fifth section. The usual rates of tuition are from 2d. to 5d. per week. No Irish manuscripts, or any historical documents relating to Ireland are to be found in the parish.
VlII. State of Religious Establishment, Tythes, &c. - The parish of Ballymascanlon is in the gift of Lord Clermont, who has a house in it, but he generally resides in England. This parish is not united to any other. Here are one church, two Roman Catholic chapels, and a glebe of twenty acres, on which is built a glebe-house, which is situate about two miles from the church.
There are no tythes taken in the parish, being Abbey lands. King James I granted the tythes, with the lands to a Mr. Hamilton, who set them tythe free, and the succeeding proprietors followed his example. The incumbent is paid £20 annually by Lord Clermont, and £80 from primate Boulter's fund. He holds his glebe at a sworn valuation, the late Lord Clermont, who gave it, being incapacitated from receiving a fine. The amount of the clergyman's income therefore is barely £100 per annum. An application was lately made to the present incumbent, through Lord Clermont's agent, to sign a bond, indemnifying his lordship from the small portion paid by him, but it was immediately rejected.
No parish register was kept here until the time of the present incumbent. Any information derived from it must be unsatisfactory, or rather useless, because the mass of the people are Roman Catholics, who keep no register.
IX. Modes of Agriculture, Crops, &c. - The Scotch mode of husbandry is rapidly gaining ground in the parish. The breed of all kinds of cattle is now so much crossed that it is hard to know how to distinguish them. The best land sets from £5 to £3 per acre, but it graduates downwards to 16s. The farms are small, being generally from fifteen to even so low as three acres. The price of labour is from 10d. to 1s. per day, without victuals.
X. Trade, Manufactures, Commerce, Navigation, &c. - The occupations here are spinning and weaving. There are two bleach greens and a small starch manufactory. The number of hands engaged in the linen manufacture may be estimated at fifty. A weaver can earn about fifteen shillings a week by his loom. There are patents for two fairs, at Foughart and Ravensdale but none are held.
XI. Natural Curiosities, Remarkable Occurrences, &c. - None.
XII. Suggestions for Improvement, and Means for meliorating the Condition of the People. - The means of improving and meliorating the situation of the people, lie chiefly with themselves. A strict adherence to habits of industry; a respect and veneration for the laws of their country; a contempt and hatred of disaffected and rebellious principles: and the constant practice of true religion, honesty and virtue, are the unfailing sources of comfort and independence: not only to the inhabitants of this parish, but to those of Ireland: and no man with health thus acting, can be called poor or wretched. The different degrees of poverty and affluence among the people, grow chiefly from the manner in which they severally act, more than from the state of rent wages or any other cause; which may be seen from a multiplicity of instances of a number of men being joint tenants in a farm, similarly circumstanced, and under similar rents some of whom become independent and happy, while others are insolvent and wretched; and in truth, I know many who would become beggars upon a portion of land, even rent free, which at a high rent would be to others a source of independence and comfort, that not to be judged of by their food or external appearance, but their correct dealing, and good conduct in society; for it is a common thing to see a man worth £50 above his immediate wants, wearing the same coat for several years; while others, who practice drunkenness and its attendant vices, will appear neat on a Sunday, though their effects are under seizure for rent. Common experience is sufficient proof that the price of labour is generally regulated by the price of agricultural produce, and the success or decline of manufactures and commerce. Were the gentry to shew an example of that good conduct, which they would wish to see in the people; did the great land proprietors in their treatment of the peasantry, decline in general to make their own capricious will the law, and thus deprive the ever watchful rebel of his wished for opportunity, to diffuse the destructive poison of his doctrines, these measures would tend much to fix the peace, contentment, and industry of the people. I will add another calamity, as an obstacle to improvement, namely, road jobbing, which comes every half year, a most heavy and unexpected burden upon the poor. It is now become a tax of such magnitude, as nearly to equal the revenues necessary to support the government, and to save the state.
XIII. Name of Townlands etc. - Eddintubber, Carrickarnon, Dromad, Feed, Aughnaskea, Drumnacana, Drumnasilla, Broleck, Borohatna, Colfow, Ballymascanlon, Aughaboy, Navan, Foughart, Ballynamannon, Plaister, Carrickanena, Monascrib, Mullyard, Aughnaverna, Dulargy, Ravensdale, Ballymakellet, Jenkenstown, Spellikanee, Aughnameen, Moonahorockroa, Killin, Piedmont, Loughanmore, Rampark, Rockmarshal, Annas, Kilcurry.
William Shaw Mason's [1774 - 1853] 'Statistical Survey of Ireland' was published in three volumes during the years 1814 to 1819 and for County Louth includes the parishes of Clonmore, Ballymascanlon, Faughart, Creggan and Rathdrummin (but not Dundalk). Although listed under Louth, the Creggan account relates only to Co. Armagh.
STATISTICAL SURVEY OF IRELAND 1816
Parish of Faughart, County Louth
By the Rev. GERVAIS TINLEY, Rector.
. - THE ancient name of this parish is Foghard, the modern Faughart. It is situated in the barony of Lower Dundalk, in the north-east of the county of Louth, and Diocese of Armagh. It is bounded on the east by Dundalk; west by Fork Hill; north by Jonesborough; and south by Roche; containing about 1,400 acres, divided into the townlands of Balriggan, Rosskeeah, Carrick Edmond, Lurgankeel, and Dungooley.
Its extent from east to west is nearly two miles. About four-fifths of the parish produce good corn, wheat, barley, and oats; and the remainder is in pasture and potatoes. There are no rivers running through the parish; but it is bounded on the south by Dungooley river, which separates it from Roche. Neither are there any bogs or mountains in it; though it is bounded on the north by the Fork hill mountains, which are for the most part pasturable, yet high and beautifully grand.
II. Mines, Minerals, &c. - The mineralogy of this parish, in consequence of the want of mountain, presents us with very little interesting matter. Limestone is the chief substratum; it is found in great abundance, and of a good quality, equally useful for building and manure. There is also rich marl in various parts of the parish.
III. Modern Buildings, &c. - An elegant mansion was lately built by Colonel Ogle on the right side of the main road from Dundalk to Fork hill, in the town land of Carrick Edmond, three miles from Dundalk, and two from Fork-hill; the same gentleman is now erecting a flour mill in the townland of Balriggan, at a great expense, but which promises to be of the utmost utility to the neighbourhood. The high road from Dundalk to Fork hill, Market hill, and Armagh, runs through this parish.
IV. Ancient Buildings, &c. - There are no ancient buildings, either monastic or castellated here; nor at present is there town, church, or glebe-house. One small Danish fort, called Fort hill, is the property of the Earl of Roden. This hill was probably the scene of the celebrated battle in which the Scotch were finally defeated, and their leader, Edward Bruce, killed, in the 15th year of the reign of Edward II by the English of the pale, under the command of Sir John Bermingham who was created Earl of Louth, for this service. Here also Lord Mountjoy, Essex's successor in the government of Ireland, gave the first check to the progress of Tyrone. Another fort is the property of Lord Clermont, from whom, a grant of half an acre of land has just been purchased whereon to build a church, an undertaking much to be desired, and which is to be commenced immediately.
V. Present & Former State of Population, Food, Fuel, &c. - There are in the parish of Faughart twelve Protestant families, containing 56 persons; two Dissenting families, containing 11 persons; and two hundred and thirty-seven Roman Catholic families, making a total of 1,361 persons.
The general food of the inhabitants is potatoes, meal, and milk; some of the wealthier farmers occasionally eat animal food. Their chief employment is agriculture, by which they support themselves very decently; they appear well clothed, and look healthy. There are but few paupers. No remarkable instances of longevity are recorded, though the climate is dry and healthy.
VI. Genius and Disposition of the Poorer Classes, &c. - The genius and disposition of the people are good: they are capable of much mental and corporeal exertion; but have few opportunities of shewing their talents for anything out of the common course of their daily occupation. The men are sober and industrious; and the females sedulously employed m spinning. They have no particular customs, or patron days. Most of them can speak English tolerably well; but their common language with each other is Irish.
VII. Education and Employment of Children, &c. - The children have no particular employment; they are tolerably well educated, and aid their parents on their little farms, as soon as they arrive at an age capable of labour.
There are two good schools in the parish; one of which is kept by a Protestant master, consisting of 40 children; the other by a Roman Catholic, containing upwards of 50 children; but no particular plan is pursued, nor is there any endowment to either. The parents pay a small salary of two shillings and sixpence quarterly; and the rector gives the masters an annual stipend, and provides the children with writing paper, prayer-books, and testaments. There is no public library, or any collection of manuscripts in this parish.
VIII. State of Religious Establishment, Tythes, &c. - In the parish of Faughart there is a Protestant rector, and a Roman Catholic priest. The patron is his Grace the Lord Primate. At present there is no church, neither glebe land nor house; but ground has been lately purchased whereon to build a church; and the rector is preparing to build a house on his own farm in the parish. There is a good Roman Catholic chapel. The tythe of wheat, barley, oats, hay, and flax, are viewed, and set at a valuation agreed on, for which, tythe notes are passed by the farmers (at setting in September) to the rector, payable on the first day of November ensuing; but seldom paid until the following harvest.
IX. Modes of Agriculture, Crops, &c. - Few farmers hold more than fifty acres of land; the rest diminish until they come to 15, 10, or five acres. The price of land, particularly late takes, is from four guineas to five pounds; but what has been held under old leases rates variously, from one guinea to three.
The mode of tillage is not good. The ploughs are heavy, and the horses weak; yet from the goodness of the soil, aided by lime and marl, in addition to the manure each farmer makes at his offices, their crops are productive, particularly that of potatoes, which enables the labourer to support his family at one shilling a day wages in winter, and one shilling and eight-pence in harvest. The chief proprietors of the soil are, the Earl of Roden, the Viscount Clermont, and Mr. Hamilton, of the county of Dublin. There are no market or fairs. Dundalk is the nearest market town.
X Trade, Manufactures, Commerce, &c. - There is no trade here, nor any manufactures, except that of a few pieces of linen cloth, which, the females of each family endeavour to make in the winter evenings, both to answer their own immediate wants and to sell. Being an inland parish, without river or canal, it affords no scope for any remarks on the other subjects of this section.
XI. Natural Curiosities, Remarkable Occurrences, &c. - The following list exhibits the succession of Incumbents, as they appear on the Records of the First Fruits Office. .
Rice Aphugh, Ecclia. de Fagherd, £60. Ibidem Mr. Briscoe Cur. 40s.
Guliel. Smith, Cler. collat. fuit 6° September, 1699, ad Rector. de Fagart et Baronstowne, Dioec. Arm. & Co. Lovid.
Guliel. Caldwell, Cler. collat. fuit 4° die Julii, 1794, ad Rector. de Dunbin et Kilcurly, et ad Prrebend. ibm. Rect. de Faughart et Baronstowne, in Dioec. Arm. et Com. Lovid.
Randolph Lambert, S.T.D. collat. fuit 28° Jun. 1706, ad Vic. Dundalke, Haggardstowne, Rect. Dunbin, Foghart, B.aronstowne et Heinstowne, £6 6s. 8d. Dioec. Armagh et Com. Lovid.
Thom. Leigh, Cler. collat. 9° Nov. 1710, ad Rect. Kilcurly, .et Praeb. ibm. Rect. Heinstowne, Baronstowne, et Foghart, et Vic. Haggardstowne.
Rev. Guliel. Woolsey, Cler. collat. fuit 20° die Julii, 1728, ad Rector. de Foghart, in Com Lovid, et Dioec. Armach.
The Rev. William Tod, Clerk, Bachelor of Arts, was collated and instituted on the 6th of May, 1741, to the Rectory of Foghart, in the diocese of Armagh.
Thomas Wolsey, A.B. Rect. Foghart, 24 April, 1754, Louth.
James Hacket, collated 15 July, 1775, R. Foghart, Louth.
Samuel Jacob, collated 20 April, 1776, R. Foghart, Louth.
James Eastwood, collated 6 Nov. 1797, R. Foghart, Louth.
Gervais Tinley, collated 5 May, 1808, vice James Eastwood, who held from the 6th day of Nov. 1797, vacated by death, Rectory Foghart, Louth, n. t.
XII. Suggestions for Improvement, and Means for meliorating the Condition of the People. - As to suggestions for improvement, and meliorating the situation of the people, new instruments of husbandry would best answer the purpose of the farmers; and a quantity of wheels given gratis among the industrious poor females, would be of essential service.
Balriggan (Lord Roden), Rosskeah (Lord Roden), Carrick Edmund (Lord Roden), Lurgankeel (Lord Clermont), Dungooly (Mr. Hamilton).
Acres, 1,400; Houses, 251; Families, 251; Males, 650; Females, 711; Total, 1361.
(From Parochial Survey of Ireland, edited by Shaw Mason, 1816.)
(Return to Home Page)
30 January 2013
© Brendan Hall 2002 - 2015